Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Nicholas!

I can't believe that one year ago today our Nick was born. Time has gone by way too fast and he has grown up very quickly. I remember the first night at the hospital feeding Nick his bottle and he only drank about 1 oz of formula. This morning he downed 8 oz before breakfast and another 3 oz with breakfast. The clothes that he is wearing now used to look enormous to me and I would think that it was going to be forever until he could fit into them. Now I can't believe the rapid pace that he outgrows things. I never imagined how quickly a baby changes into a toddler - I thought this year would go by slowly.

We are so grateful to have such a fun, loving and easy baby! He has always been such a good sleeper and slept from 9PM until 8:30AM the other night. Wow! I thought I was supposed to be sleep deprived? Nick did keep me running around quite a bit yesterday though. We went to the Farmers Market and then to Safeway. Nick took a nap (only 1 hour, not his normal nap). Then we had lunch and went to the park. Nick took his afternoon nap (only 1/2 hour, not his normal nap). So then we played in the yard with the hose, blew bubbles, tore up some flowers and just ended up a dirty wet mess- it was great. At the end of yesterday though, he was exhausted from the excessive playing and lack of normal nap times. Oh well! I cherished yesterday because it was the last day to count his age in months instead of years! I can't help it, I can't get over the fact that he is 1 now! I keep picturing his first day of school, his first loose tooth, learning to ride a bike and his first skinned knee. It's freaking me out! I think I need a margarita.....

Okay, I'll stop blubbering on about my little boy growing up. I decided to reminisce today and post photos when he was first born.



Our first family photo - Nick just minutes old. I look like I'm ready to walk the red carpet, don't I?


One day old - still at the hospital. What a tiny little bundle!


Proud daddy getting ready for us all to go home. I can't believe how skinny Nick was! He's el chunko now! I love squishing his thighs!





Our second day home. Nick loved being wrapped up like a burrito. He slept that way at night for about 3 months until he outgrew the blankets that wrapped just right. At this point we were still taking turns sleeping at night to make sure Nick was breathing. You know, the new parent paranoia that if one of us doesn't watch him sleep then something will go wrong. He slept in his own room in his crib I think the 3rd or 4th night and one of us would sleep in the daybed in there. We both still like to go in at night and just watch him sleep, he used to look so tiny in this huge crib and now he looks just right.




Kissy kissy kissy kissy........





Asleep on daddy's chest. Still just weeks old.





Nick fell asleep while I was burping him. I let him sleep like that for an hour.






Love! Love! Love! Love that little guy!




What a cutie! He totally owns us too! And he is the biggest flirt! We were at La Roca (our fav. restaurant) and Nick was flirting with one of the girls there, she held her hand out and he took it and looked at her like "This means were going out now right?" and then he brought her over to our table like he was showing off his new girlfriend! What a tease! I'm looking forward to all that the years ahead will bring. There's so much I can't wait for him to do, but I don't want it to come to soon either. Thank you Nick for being our son! We love you!








2 comments:

Sand Castle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK!!!! I remember that day very well too. It was great hearing the news that you had a healthy little guy! I also remember how freaked out the nurses looked when I walked in the door to come see you guys when you were in labor since they were so busy and didn't look happy to see another hugely pregnant woman walking in. :) I can't believe these little babies are little boys! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Please update your blog...we need more cute Nick pictures!!!